Sunday, May 24, 2009

Wonders of change

May 24, 2009

It’s a holiday weekend (although, without a job every day seems like Memorial Day), so there is some time to reflect. The Blessed Wife is busy tending to her rose garden under an overcast sky, and I’m inside the cottage doing a little homework. I'm reading "Persepolis" by Marjane Satrapi. "You're even sounding smarter every day," the Blessed Wife old me yesterday.

I continue to marvel at how my life has changed. I still feel anxious when someone starts to talk about their job. (You lucky son of a gun, I think to myself.) But I’m getting into some type of comfort zone. Instead of walking into the same building and seeing the same faces every day, it seems I am in different environments and talking to new people almost daily. From the D’Youville classroom to my student observation at Mill Middle School, I’m meeting new people every day. At home, I do my freelance work and study. It seems out of place, but I think I am adjusting. My family and friends continue to provide great support, and that is a major morale booster.

Chautauqua continues to offer a great escape, even though I’m not working and don't feel in need of an “escape.” There’s just a good vibe here. I equate Chautauqua with relaxation and fun. I must spend more time here this summer.

When we (myself and the Anderson clan) went to Southern Tier Brewery on Saturday, I met some Buffalo-area acquaintances who urged me to apply to the Buffalo School District as a substitute teacher this fall. I probably will.

I hear the sounds of laughter outside, so I feel the need to join in, so I will cut this entry short.

PS: I heard on the radio last night an expert saying that Americans of the future will have multiple careers in their lifetimes. I think the man’s name was Howard Bloom. He said Americans will be very career mobile and also geographically mobile. I think that is already happening, with the downturn in the auto industry and newspapers.

I am one of many.

No comments:

Post a Comment