Wednesday, June 3, 2009

See the seedlings grow

June 3, 2009

We saw Wayne Dyer, the noted author and self-help guru, on PBS the other night. He was touting his new book and CD, “Excuses Begone” and he seemed to be talking to me.

“It’s too difficult.”

“We can’t afford it.”

Those are some of the excuses people make not to pursue their dreams or make changes in their lives. Dyer refers to them as mind viruses, or "memes." They are products of the ego trying to undermine the desires of the real you. That faulty thinking makes you operate and make decisions out of fear.

Anyway, I’m starting to see my life transitioning from journalism to education as an occupation.

I am meeting tomorrow with the D’Youville College Learning Center staff to get the rubric for grading essays written by incoming students at orientation. I’ll be working those orientation sessions this summer. (The power of networking – Blessed Wife.)

Also, I accepted a six-week position starting July 6 as a teacher’s aide at a school for special-needs children. It’s a $9.75 an hour job, but it gets some education experience on my resume. I am pretty excited about it. It felt good filling out a W-2 form, to belong to some organization. I can hardly wait to get up in the morning, have a cup of joe and drive off to work. Ah, just like the good old days. I like the hours, too – 8 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. Also, I’ll be working with my son, who will be doing his second summer at the school. It was his talking about how rewarding his work was last summer that started me thinking about this journey. What better way to serve than to help kids with cerebral palsy, Down syndrome and behavioral disorders? (Again, the power of networking.)

I also heard from the headmistress of a private school in the Buffalo area who said she is looking forward to having me as a student observer, student teacher and substitute teacher in the coming academic year. I have to return her call. (I had left a message for her several days ago. I have a connection at the school – my lovely niece teaches there. Again, the power of networking.)

So, I’m starting to see some seedlings sprout where I had planted seeds. It’s not easy tilling the scorched earth of the workworld, but you have to stay at it – day after day – and not get discouraged or wallow in despair.

I’m starting to use daily visualization as a morale booster, and that seems to be really keeping my energy and spirits high. I also seem to be doing well in school. How refreshing, only good news to report!

I will be at home in the classroom. I see myself there, serving the needs of people – young and old – who could use my assistance.

In the words of Wayne Dyer: “How may I serve?”

No comments:

Post a Comment